The L.O.C Method + The Best Oil For Natural Hair

Hello my lovelies, how are you all doing? good I hope! I took out my braids, I know I know!, I didn't keep them in as long as I had planned to but I tried, I needed to take them out anyway, but i'll get a new protective style installed after a week.

 We as naturals experience dryness on a whole other level because of the structure of our strands, it's difficult for moisture to be retained most times, but there's something I live by! It has helped me a great deal, I still experience dryness obviously because that's just how hair works but the L.O.C method has cut that down by a lot!

This method for moisture retention requires 2/ 3 products
L - Being the liquid, this could be water or a liquid to cream leave-in-conditioner
O - Oil as a sealant
C - Cream/Butter

With this method, not only will you be guaranteed moisturized hair but you will also be left with soft, supple, fluffy hair. There's a few variations to this, the L.C.O and L.O.C.O, I tend to do the latter often for added moisturizing and sealing. How it's done is, after washing your hair, you can go straight to liberally coating your hair and scalp with oil or you start off with a lotion type leave in, following the oil, then the cream/butter, this layering helps the hair stay moisturized for as long as 2-3 days without remoisturizing , and the best hairstyles are achieved with this as a base ;). Just be sure to coat the hair properly, we don't want some parts missing out, that is why I advice sectioning your hair off into four before.


 To  maximize the method you have to make sure you are using a sealing oil that is accurate for your hair type and one moisturizing agent, being the leave-in or the butter, or both. My fave, which I feel is the best oil for Natural hair isn't coconut oil, I love coconut oil don't get me wrong! it smells heavenly! and gives food a distinct taste, lol I digress. 

It's a super light oil which has antibacterial properties and helps cut down protein loss from the strands through the process of washing, because everytime you wash your hair you lose a  bit or a lot of protein. It is excellent as a prepoo. It keeps hygral fatigue at bay which in the long run leads to breakage. If you are wondering what Hygral fatigue is - The damage to the cuticle that occurs over time due to the swelling of the hair once in contact with water and the contraction when water is lost. So...washing your hair ever so often doesn't exactly sound like the best thing to do. There's so much more to this amazing oil, but! It does not work so well as a sealant on some sections of my hair. Being that I have multiple curl personality disorder, some parts of my hair look and feel different and as expected have different needs.

For a sealant you need oil which is leaning towards the thick or is already on the solid side like Shea butter if you have kinky hair. Those with fine and or curlier hair are fine with coconut oil, one on the thicker side will have to be castor oil, and a number of people use it to seal, I haven't tried yet but I intend to, because I've heard good things, one of which are the hair restoration abilities of the oil, so if you have thinning hair or are battling which traction alopecia, look into finding some good castor oil.

The Holy grail is Extra Virgin Olive Oil.(EVOO)
I feel like it's the mediator, sort of like old faithful you know! It helped tons while I was transitioning and I experienced little to no breakage + decent moisture levels. I started experimenting with coconut oil, and completely eradicated olive oil from my routine and my hair started to act differently, I should have just used them together to be honest but I was too hyped. 

Oil does not moisturize your hair rather it lubricates, but EVOO works so well with just a little water on my hair, the way my hair felt with olive oil wasn't the way it felt with coconut oil, there was just something off! dryness came back into the picture more often than it should have.

 Coconut oil being the main oil I was using it in excess and I came to the realization that it was rather drying to my hair. I mean I had read about the drying effects of coconut oil to the hair but I outright disregarded it and thought that those ladies that complained about it simply didn't know what they were talking about, and needed to look into why they were experiencing dryness. But indeed the oil has drying effects on some tresses if used past a certain quantity, and most times works best if mixed with another carrier oil.

EVOO has some sort of bearable thickness, it's the perfect consistency for me, works excellent as a prepoo, as well and gives your hair shine for days! Coconut oil is also strong on that one too! they both give excellent shine. I use it for my oil rinses too! Oil rinsing is another good one for softness and manageability, I shall give y'all a post on it! it's amazing, trust me! 

I realized that even though coconut oil was amazing, it wasn't extending the love that much to my kinkier tresses so I went back to my default homepage. I still use loads of coconut alongside EVOO, they're a match made in heaven  but it's not the main anymore. But there's something else, I intend to try Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, just to be sure. At the moment I use Pure Coconut Oil, I've used the former for a period of time on my hair, and the one I use at the moment and that are not the same thing, I tried to overlook this multiple times but had to tell myself the truth at the end that that might be why I am not getting desired results. This particular one is good, but it can be better, if you've used it before let me know what you think.


But hey! as I stated earlier, different hair types have different needs, In my opinion the only importance of knowing your hair type is so you know how to care for your hair and be sure you're not just wasting time, energy and products. Techniques and products work hand in hand to maintain healthy natural hair, having a mixture of two types can be tasking but I am learning what works for one and doesn't for the other. With my hair I have the best of both worlds really, super kinky, and super curly, and I know how to take care of them respectively, as a human being sometimes I just want to belong fully to the kinky side, and other times fully to the curly side, but I'm grateful for both all in one. I call myself  The Kinky Curly Princess sometimes, pretty accurate name. 

Thanks for reading my loves, I hope it was informative, I'd like to hear your thoughts on it so please drop me a comment just below in the comments section, until next time, God bless x

Comments

  1. It was too lengthy to read.try n explain in steps by steps next time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is not a natural hair site, it is my blog. Where I choose to share my hair journey with the world amongst other things. I explained how I always explain. Nobody complains about it being lengthy, blogs are to be read. I also gave helpful information based on personal experience, that you will not get on a commercial site. There's numerous sites that give you quick info on the LOC method. This is my version.

      Delete
  2. Hi uzo, very informative read! I sent u my email as requested. I recently took out braids, sectioned it into four and just matted it. Gotten different info, but u seem more down to earth and relatable(if dats a functioning word). Will really appreciate steps on what to do. Thanks��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol_ why did i get to know about this blog just now? why? why? super awesome work Uzoamaka Daisy.
    check out mine too www.gracieamnut.blogspot.com
    it's not about natural hair tho

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment