Cowashing Natural Hair

Say a big YES to cowashing and oil rinsing!
 What is oil rinsing? it's just rinsing your hair with oil, literally.
After a wash that is.

With the way our hair is prone to dryness and breakage, extra moisture is needed, the elements play a role in depleting moisture levels in our hair which lead to frizz and dry rough unmanageable hair, your hair is rough because the cuticles aren't laying flat.

Apart from daily moisturizing with water or a water based product, cowashing rejuvenates the hair and brings back moisture that has been lost, I for one do this at most twice a week ( being that I'm in school I can't afford that luxury at the moment but I try to whenever I can ) However it should not be substituted for shampooing because conditioner will not rid your hair of build up and there are some components of conditioners that are made to stick to your hair....over time build up is bound to occur.

You should have two types of conditioners, 
Moisturizing and Cleansing conditioners.

You should only really shampoo to get rid of build up and for a clean scalp, frequent shampooing does more harm than good.
I would recommend twice a month.

I like cowashing because it softens my hair and for the sections of my hair that have definite curls, it clumps them and they dry with the curls intact...the key to curl clumping is really attaining a good enough moisture level.

On days when I'm not shampooing 
I Cowash with my herbal essences body envy conditioner, I like this one because it's light, smells good and is not sudsy...after cowashing I do an oil rinse with olive oil, massage my hair and scalp with the oil, it really melts away tangles and you can actually finger comb in the shower, when I'm done finger combing I cold shock (rinse out some of the oil with really cold water to close the cuticles and tie my hair with my microfiber towel or cotton Tshirt.

Hope you found this helpful? Do you like to cowash? How do you go about it? Let me know.

Until next time my loves remain blessed.

Comments

  1. I totally need to try this. I see your hair is really healthy and idk if this would work on mine. I currently have in braids but my hair is quite brittle :(

    Slimthickdiva.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment